Home / General News / Ghana imports $99.5m worth of tomatoes every year from Burkina Faso

Ghana imports $99.5m worth of tomatoes every year from Burkina Faso

Ghana loses CFA56 billion, approximately $99.5 million to Burkina Faso through the importation of fresh tomatoes annually, Mr. Eric Osei Tuffuor, the Chairman, Ghana National Tomatoes Traders and Transporters Association (GNTTTA) has disclosed.

This, he said was because Ghana imported 90 per cent of fresh tomatoes produced in BF, saying the remaining 10 per cent is consumed between that  country and La Cote D’Ivoire.

The GNTTTA Chairman said the Burkinabe “Researchers” had consciously calculated and worked it for the country to gain that amount or more within the six months production period in a year being the planting, harvesting and marketing season of the commodity.

He said the Burkinabe government had created the enabling environment with the necessary and various incentives in place for the Researchers and farmers, citing that the country started with only seven dams but currently it has 87 to boost the fresh tomato farming industry.

Mr. Tuffuor was speaking at a meeting of tomato farmers, traders, some executive members of the GNTTTA and Mr. George Oduro, a Deputy Minister of Food and Agriculture at Tuobodom in the Techiman North District of Brong-Ahafo Region.

It was organised by the Assembly at the instance of President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo following the farmers’ concern for government’s intervention for them to get stable and fair prices and ready market for the commodity.

The farmers requested for government’s support in that regard when President Akufo-Addo went to the place last Friday as part of his three day working visit to the Brong-Ahafo Region.

He explained that the Ghanaian tomato importers preferred to buy from BF because there had been a strong business link, collaboration and cooperation between the Burkinabe farmers and the importers.

Mr Tuffuor said those farmers allowed the importers to accompany them to the farms to harvest and select the best quality for themselves and however expressed worry that beside other factors, it appeared the required levels of cooperation and understanding between the Ghanaian farmers and the traders to make the business thrive well for both parties “is lacking”.

Mr Tuffuor advised the farmers to endeavour to follow modern trends in business by ensuring best fresh tomato farming practices for quality production urged them and the buyers to be honest with themselves and peacefully negotiate to agree on pricing of the product to avoid misunderstanding and its negative consequences.

As part of measures to obtain quality production, Mr Tuffuor suggested the need for the leadership of the association to be closer to the farmers by going to their farms “to see what and how the farmers are doing.

“The important thing is that we must do the right thing as a country because we want all the money for importation to remain in Ghana”, the GNTTTA Chairman emphasised.

Mr. Peter Mensah, the District Chief Executive announced that the Assembly’s application for the establishment of tomato processing factory under the government’s One District, One Factory had been approved.

He mentioned to maintain the prevailing peace in the District, the District Security Council (DISEC) had instituted security measures such as the deployment of military personnel in the Tuobodom Township and the presence of Police personnel and city guards to provide effective security at the Tuobodom market.

Mr. Mensah therefore entreated the farmers and traders to cooperate with the Assembly in its effort to create a congenial environment for them to do their businesses.

Source: GNA

Check Also

Aflao gets CCTV cameras for crime control

The Ketu South Municipal Security Committee (MUSEC), has installed CCTV cameras in Aflao, Ghana’s eastern …

2 comments

  1. BURKINA FASSO IS LAUGHING ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK WHILES GHANA IS CRYING FOR EMPLOYMENT. GHANAIANS LIKE TO CONSUME FROM ELECTRONIC, FOOD, VEHICLES LIKE JAPANESE, KOREA, CHINESE GERMAN VEHICLES WHILES THESE JOBS STAYS OVERSEAS AS WELL AS PROFITS TO THE BENEFITS OF THEIR CITIZENS WHILES GHANAIANS CRIES FOR JOBS. IS ABOUT TIME ALL GHANAIANS RETHINK AND RETOOL THEIR BEHAVIER AND THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX TO PRODUCE , CONSUME LOCALLY, EXPORT TO NEIGHBOURING COUNTRIES AS OTHERS DO.

  2. Adiali Philemon Chamdapaare

    We have to step-up our game as a country. At least, establishing import replacement factories is a good start. And Burkina’s land is not different from ours. We have all that is required to produce as their doing, our tomato species is different from theirs, which should not be a constraint to constantly rely on them for 90% tomato. And moreover, the tono irrigation dam is one of the largest in West Africa, why can’t we produce all year round and do as their doing. Thank you.