Akua Donkor robbery case adjourned

Akua Donkor – Founder, Ghana Freedom Party

An Accra Circuit Court hearing the robbery case against Madam Akua Donkor, the Founder of the Ghana Freedom Party (GFP), on Monday adjourned the case at the instance of the prosecution.
This was after the prosecution for the second time failed to produce its next witness.
The prosecution had told the court that they have a last witness to call but unfortunately the said witness was not in court when the case was called.
The court adjourned the matter to June 13.
The advised the prosecution to ensure that its witness comes to court for the trial to continue.
The prosecution later assured the court that, if on the next adjourned date the witness is not in court, they would close their case for the trial to continue.
At the last hearing the case was adjourned because the next prosecution witness was not in court.
The prosecution has so far called four witnesses.
The accused persons are Yakubu Yusif, trader and Central Regional Chairman of the GFP; Banabas Kayase, her driver and secretary of the party; Opoku Agyemang, trader and Abdul Razak Shaibu, a member of a GPRTU Task Force.
Two others, Joe and Nuamah aka Lion, are currently on the run. The accused are on remand.
The prosecution said on that the day, Akua together with Yusif and Kayase were on board her vehicle – a Mitsubishi Pajero with registration number GT 6028-16 – from Taifa heading towards the Kotoka International Airport to catch a flight to the United States of America.
Chief Superintendent Duuti Tuaruka, prosecuting, said on December 30, 2016 at Taifa in Accra, the six persons conspired to rob Madam Akua Donkor.
The prosecution said the accused persons at about 02:30 hours at Sowutuom, a suburb of Accra, robbed Madam Donkor at gunpoint and snatched her travelling bag containing a plane ticket, Ghanaian passport, voter ID card, $30,000 and GH¢3,000.00.
“Akua decided to pass home and on reaching Sowutuom immediately after the Agbeve Herbal Clinic area, Opoku called Kayase on phone and asked where they have reached while Razak, Joe and Lion were waiting to execute their agenda,” Chief Supt Tuaruka told the court.
He said the three, armed with guns on board an unregistered motorbike, appeared behind the vehicle, and “as soon as Kayase spotted the armed men, he reduced the speed of the car, showing double hazard indicators that the complainant was in the car.”
Kayase, according to the prosecutor, parked the vehicle and the armed men attacked the complainant with guns and took the monies and items and then dragged her from the vehicle and escaped with the booty.
The prosecution said on 31st December, last year, Razak was arrested when he was called by Yusif to come for his share of the booty.
When Razak was searched, $4,900 was retrieved from him.
He said upon interrogation Razak admitted the offence and mentioned Joe and Nuamah as his accomplices.
He said that after the operation, they shared the monies and threw the bag into a nearby bush at Anyaa.
He led the police to retrieve the bag.

Source: GNA

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.