Home / Oil & Gas / Hess strikes oil offshore Ghana

Hess strikes oil offshore Ghana

Share this with more people!

New York based Hess Corporation, an oil and gas company has announced today June 7, 2011, that it has found significant oil and gas at its Paradise-1 exploration well offshore Ghana.

The well is located at its Deepwater Tano Cape Three Points (DTCTP) license.

According to Hess it has “encountered an estimated 490 net feet of oil and gas condensate pay over three separate intervals.”

The company says the well was drilled to a total depth of 16,436 feet in a water depth of 6,038 feet.

It says it will soon evaluate the well results and work with the Ghana National Petroleum Corporation (GNPC) and the government of Ghana to plan future appraisal drilling.

Hess has therefore, filed a ‘Notice of Discovery’ of the well with Ghana’s Minister of Energy.

On Wednesday April 28, 2011 Hess announced the discovery of 370 feet of hydrocarbons in two separate intervals at the Paradise prospect offshore Ghana.

Hess has a 90% stake in the well with the remaining 10% held by the GNPC.

British oil company, Tullow also announced the discovery of oil yesterday June 6, 2011 at the Banda-1 well offshore Ghana.

Ghana became an oil producing country when commercial production of oil began in the country on December 15, 2010. The country’s Jubilee oil field is the largest oil field to be discovered in West Africa in recent times.

 

By Ekow Quandzie

Share this with more people!

Check Also

Fuel prices to decline but cedi fall will water down impact – IES

A decline in prices of petroleum products on the international market will further drive down …