Fire destroys 16-bedroom house at Sunyani-Baakoniaba
The fire, which started around 1035 hours Wednesday, destroyed property and personal belongings running to millions of Ghana cedis.
No casualty was reported and the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) said it was working to ascertain the cause.
Linus Dapilah, a victim, told the Ghana News Agency (GNA) that the fire started from a locked wooden kitchen which contained liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) cylinders attached to the house.
Mr Frank Adjei Nyarko, a bystander, said some people in the neighbourhood tried to extinguish the fire after calling the GNFS but when the personnel arrived at the scene, the fire had gone wild and efforts to bring it under control were unsuccessful.
Divisional Officer Grade III (DOIII) Ignatius N-Noekor, the Bono Regional Fire Operations Officer, who led the team, said the fire tender developed a pump failure when the team arrived.
“The fault slowed the process, thereby, making it extremely difficult for the fire fighters to discharge water from the tender, so we tried calling the Abesim and Nsoatre fire stations for assistance, but the fire had already burnt the entire house,” he stated.