Home / General News / Accra High Court discharges secessionist group

Accra High Court discharges secessionist group

An Accra High Court has discharged the nine people accused of allegedly attempting to secede part of Ghana, to be known as Western Togoland and as an independent State.

When the case was called on Monday, July 8, Ms Winifred Sarpong, a Senior State Attorney, told the court that she had been instructed to withdraw the case.

The three-member panel presided over by Justice Jerome Nkrumah subsequently struck the case out as withdrawn.

The court said even though three members of the Group were still in custody, the court said the discharge affects all of them.

At the last adjourned date, the nine accused persons were yet to execute their bail bonds weeks after an Accra High Court granted them bail.

When the case was called on that day, Detective Sergeant Ali Ganani told the Court that the Police had received documents concerning properties at various areas in Accra and Ho and have forwarded them to the Lands Commission to ascertain ownership of the properties.

Mr Ganani said, “We have made some follow-ups and they are yet to complete the search”.

The Court empaneled three justices, Justice Jerome Noble Nkrumah, who is presiding, Justice Ekow Baiden and Mrs Afia Serwah Asare-Botwe.

Mr Fred Awindago, a State Attorney, told the Court that the prosecution has come across fresh evidence they seek to file against the accused persons.

Justice Baiden urged the Police not to use procedures and processes to curtail the human rights of the accused persons, adding that “you need to fast track the process.”

He told them to move to the various locations and conduct the search and that if the prosecution was not ready to start the case, they could equally inform the Court to discharge the accused and when they are ready, they could bring them back to Court.

Justice Asare-Botwe said prosecution did not need days, weeks and months to file processes again, looking at the digital age.

She said now technology has made things easier in justice delivery.

The court granted bail to the eight-remaining accused in the sum of GH¢100,000 each with two sureties each all to be justified.

The Court had earlier granted bail to the 85-year-old Chairman of the so-called Homeland Study Group Foundation, Mr Charles Kormi Kudjordji, at the sum of GH¢250,000.00 with two sureties, one to be justified.

The accused persons will also have to report themselves to the Police on Monday and Thursday every week.

The other accused are Mr Bisa Akorli, 54, Mr Kofi Dzereke, 39, Mr Thompson Tsigbe, 58, Mr Benjamin Agbadzada, 48, Mr Agbenyega Akudzi, 54, Mr Freemen Blikaku, 36, and Mr Nkpe Tsryiri Kudzo aged 61.

They were charged with conspiracy to commit treason felony, abetment of unlawful training, unlawful assembly and offensive conduct conducive to the breach of peace.

The Nine were arrested by a combined team of Police and Military personnel at Ho on Sunday, May 5 this year in a house, whiles holding a meeting to allegedly arrange to declare part of Ghana as Western Togoland and as an independent state on May 9, 20I9.

Source: GNA

Check Also

Final framework on Safe and Responsible Journalism to be ready in November

The National Coordinating Committee on Safe and Responsible Journalism in Ghana, is expected to publish …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *