Court orders Medical Director to produce Dr Obengfo in court

An Accra Circuit Court has ordered the Medical Director of the Ridge Hospital in Accra to produce Dr Dominic Kwame Obeng -Andoh, Proprietor of Obengfo Hospital, who is receiving treatment at the facility before it on June 8.

The order came after the Police had prayed the court to order the medical director through the Hospital Administrator to produce the accused.

According to Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Stephen Kwame Adjei, a letter received by the Police on Tuesday titled “To whom it may concern,” and signed by medical officer of the Ridge Hospital also known as the Greater Accra Regional Hospital, indicated that Dr Obeng –Andoh aka Dr. Obengfo could not be released to the court without the assistance of a physician.

DSP Adjei said it was only when the Court made orders to the Medical Director that accused could be brought to court.

The court presided over by Mrs Jane Harriet Akweley Quaye after listening to a formal application made by the Prosecution obliged his application to compel the Medical Director to produce Dr Obengfo in court. 

Dr Dominic Kwame Obeng-Andoh, Proprietor of Obengfo Hospital at Weija has been remanded into Police custody by a District Court in Accra over a murder charge.

He is being held for the death of Stacy Ofei Darko, deputy Chief Executive Officer of National Youth Entrepreneurship Innovation Programme at the Presidency.

Dr Obeng- Andoh’s plight worsened when he was put before an Accra Circuit Court for operating a health facility without licence and practicing medicine without lawful authority.

His arraignment was after the Attorney General Department had advised that the two charges be maintained by the Police and put before a court.

When the matter was called at the Circuit Court on last week Friday, Dr Obeng-Andoh also known Dr Obengfo was not present and no lawyer represented him.

Prosecution told the court that the accused complained of some ailment in the morning so he was sent to the Ridge Hospital hence he could not appear in court so the case was adjourned.

The Ghana Medical and Dental Council in Accra in July 2015 during their routine monitoring exercise received information that the accused had failed to renew his annual registration to practice as a medical doctor and to operate a private facility since 2013 but still practiced in his hospital.

The Ghana Medical and Dental Council therefore reported the matter to the Police and on December 28, 2016, the Police went to the accused hospital to arrest him.

The Police, however, met him in the process of performing certain medical procedure on a witness in the case.

The police after questioning Dr Obeng-Andoh charged him to appear before the court on February 6, last year   

The accused however petitioned the Criminal Investigations Department and the court process was temporarily halted. The case docket was forwarded to the Attorney General’s Department for advice.

The Attorney General Department on May 8, this year advised that all charges preferred against Dr Obeng-Andoh be maintained and he should be arraigned.

Source: GNA

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.