Defence cries for healthcare for alleged Vandal murder suspect

The Defence Counsel for George Osei Mensah who allegedly stabbed to death a former student of the University of Ghana during an argument has prayed the Madina District Court to grant accused full access to a health facility.

Mr Derrick Adu-Gyamfi who represented Mensah 23-year-old footballer, noted that his client has been suffering from various health conditions and need to have access to a medical facility to undergo thorough medical examination.

Defence counsel said getting access to a health facility formed part of the Mensah’s fundamental human rights.

A medical report brought before the court and endorsed by one Dr. H. B. Agbenu confirmed that the accused was suffering from some health conditions.

The court presided over by Mr Richard D. Anku ordered the Police to follow up and liaise with the Attorney General’s office to appoint someone to come for the committal proceedings.

It further directed the Police to give Mensah full access to a medical facility preferably the Police Hospital so that accused could be attend to when the need arise.

Chief Inspector Sophia Adamuwaa who held brief of Chief Inspector Joyce Ninson earlier informed the court that the Police was still waiting for the Attorney General’s advice.

Mensah was put before the court for allegedly stabbing Martin Tweneboah aka Tipsy aged 32 with a broken bottle at the Commonwealth Hall on December 9, last year.

The accused who is facing a provisional charge of murder have had his plea reserved by the court.

The case of prosecution was that Mensah and Tweneboah attended a funeral of a former student of the University of Ghana, who was a Vandal at Dodowa in the Greater Accra Region on December 9, last year.

Prosecution said while the two were in the Commonwealth Hall van on their way back to Accra, they engaged in a heated argument over who was a Vandal and who was not.

According to prosecution, Tweneboah allegedly ordered Mensah to get out of the van since it was for Vandals.

When the two arrived at the University campus, the argument heated up and Mensah allegedly grabbed an empty bottle, broke it and stabbed Tweneboah multiple times on the neck.

A report was made to the Police after Tweneboah had been rushed to the Legon Hospital but was pronounced dead on arrival

The case have been adjourned to May 31.

Source: GNA

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.