Home / Editorials/Opinion / Five important issues that weren’t captured in the 2018 Budget

Five important issues that weren’t captured in the 2018 Budget

Ken Ofori-Atta – Minister of Finance

The Minister of Finance, Ken Ofori-Atta recently presented the 2018 budget on the floor of Parliament and that made the news for a while in the country. The budget was themed “putting Ghana to work.” In the budget, the government measured economic boost between 2018 and 2019.  

Among other crucial issues in the budget that made the news were initiatives highlighted by the Minister. These initiatives are meant to support the financial and energy sectors, the rollout of the Akufo-Addo Programme for Economic Transformation (AAPET), and he also announced measures to increase revenue.

News about the budget and other news from Ghana are covered by YEN.com.gh, which is just a click away.

Here are some other important issues which are worth mentioning but were not in the budget for the next year.

  1. Allocation for disabled people

In the budget for this year, the government preconditioned different fiscal expansions for young entrepreneurs. What about disabled persons?

This year, many were sure that the government would create special tax holidays for companies who employ disabled persons. This decision could improve the situation with the high unemployment rate among people with disabilities. This would be both advantageous for the disabled people, for business and the country.

  1. Funds for some diseases considered to be without cure

Another important issue expected to be highlighted in the Budget 2018 is the matter of diseases that are known to have no cure yet, such as cancer and HIV. According to reports from different public hospitals, most people living with these diseases have to pay for the cost of lab tests which are expensive. While the country has managed to improve the situation with vaccines, there is still more to be done to save the lives of Ghanaians who suffer from incurable diseases.

  1. Five serious issues of Ghana’s dying fish stock

According to news today in Ghana, Ghana’s fish stock is dwindling. As it was stated by the Minister for Fisheries and Aquaculture, 60 per cent of the fish consumed in Ghana is imported, and the other 40 per cent required is hardly met by the national fish production.

In 2016, Ghana spent $135 million to import fish due to the country’s fish stock reduction. That is why it was expected that the government would allocate funds to solving the problem in the fishing industry. However, unfortunately, the need to pay attention to fish production hasn’t been covered in the budget for the next year.

  1. Fight against cybercrime

Cybercrime has become one of the major challenges Ghana faces today. According to available statistics, the country loses $60 million every year to cybercrime. The President of the Republic, Nana Ado Danquah Akufo-Addo has mentioned the special policies aimed at fighting cybercrime. However, nothing was said about this problem in the budget for 2018.

  1. Domestic security and terrorism

Some European countries not long ago, blacklisted Ghana as a no-go area when it comes to security. Many believed that the government of the country surrounded by countries with frequent terrorist attacks would pay attention to this issue in the 2018 budget. Unfortunately, a little or nothing was mentioned about anti-terrorist measures in the budget.

There are obviously more crucial issues which the government failed to allocate funds for in the 2018 Budget. What do you think? Feel free to express your thoughts in the comments section.

Check Also

Open letter to the IGP of Ghana: I’m a journalist, I don’t feel safe

Dear Mr. Inspector General of Police, I am a journalist living and working in Accra, …