Home / General News / USAID supports farmers to reduce post-harvest losses

USAID supports farmers to reduce post-harvest losses

Share this with more people!

USAIDFarmers in the Northern and Upper East Regions have taken delivery of maize shellers and multicrop threshers to boost their farming operation and reduce post-harvest losses.

These were supplied by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) under its Agriculture Technology Transfer Project (ATTP).

Beneficiary farmers pay 30 per cent of the cost of the machines with USAID taking care of the remaining 70 per cent.

Madam Blessing Kamakolam, Grants Manager of Feed the Future – USAID-ATTP, who handed them over at a ceremony in Tamale, said the goal was to significantly increase maize production to enhance food security.

The sheller machine has the capacity to shell 50 bags of maize within a space of an hour and she said they should take advantage of that to expand their farms.

She spoke of plans to properly train the farmers to use and maintain the machines for optimal benefit.

Madam Kamakolam re-affirmed the determination of the US government to continue to give support to farmers and other vulnerable communities to help transform their livelihood.

She advised the beneficiaries to handle the equipment to with care to prolong their life span.

Source: GNA

Share this with more people!

Check Also

Arise Ghana protestors gather momentum at Obra spot

Several hundreds of protesters have thronged the Obra Spot, Kwame Nkrumah Circle, Tuesday morning for …