Afoko’s accomplice discharged

Law2The Magistrate’s Court hearing the case involving Gregory Afoko, has discharged the third accused person, Issah Musah based on the advice of the Attorney General (AG).

The court presided over by Mr Wolanyo Kotoku discharged Issah after the prosecution prayed the court that based on the AG’s report received on November 19, the accused person should be discharged.

The court later charged the prosecution to make sure the other accomplice, one Asala Alande, now at large, should be arrested as soon as possible to quicken the trial.

Counsel for Gregory, Israel Ackah said he did not know what the prosecution was waiting for to commence trial, since they received the AG’s report as far back as November 19.

However, Superintendent Francis Baah, prosecutor in the case, told the court that the process was a little challenging, but prayed the court that it was ready to start trial on the next adjourned date.

The case was adjourned to December 9.

Afoko has been charged with murder, his accomplice, Musah, was held for abetment of crime. Their pleas have not been taken.

On July 10, the Magistrate Court presided over by Mr Worlanyo Kotoku, admitted Issah to bail in the sum of GH¢20,000.00 with four sureties.

He was to report to the Criminal Investigation Department of the Ghana Police Service before noon from Monday to Thursday until the case is disposed of.

In the case of Afoko, an Accra High Court refused him bail, saying there had not been any unreasonable delay in the matter.

The court presided over by Mr Justice K.A Okwabi noted that the facts and charges were properly laid and they connected Afoko to the crime.

In May, former Upper East Regional Chairman of the New Patriotic Party, Adams Mahama, was attacked with acid while he was on his way home and later died in hospital.

He reportedly named some of the persons who attacked him.

According to the Police, Afoko after his arrest, was asked to lead the Police to the house of his accomplice, Asabke Alangdi, but “he rather took them to the father’s house.”

The Police said they later located the house of the second suspect, who having got wind of their presence, absconded with his wife, leaving behind their baby.

According to police, a gallon, which allegedly contained some of the acid, and a plastic cup were retrieved from the scene for forensic examination.

The Police said: “a post mortem examination was conducted on the body of Adam and the pathologist gave the cause of the death as shocked lungs and extensive acid burns.”

Issah was arrested for allegedly buying the acid used for the attack.

Source: GNA

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.