Political parties blame each other for presence of arms in Talensi

Gun shotConfusion broke out in the New Patriotic Party (NPP) office in Tongo this afternoon, with party members  allegedly accusing the National Democratic Congress (NDC), for trying to import arms into the Talensi District where the parliamentary bye- election is taking place.

Some members of the two parties were at each other’s throat, because of the accusation, and the police had to fire tear gas to disperse a crowd that was gathering.

An army officer on duty at a barrier at Winkongo, mounted to check vehicles and people entering the constituency, confirmed in an interview with the Ghana News Agency, that some guns including three AK 47, five rifles and some machetes, were seized from some young men traveling in two vehicles from Tamale.

Mr Daniel Bugre Naabu , Northern Regional Chairman of the NPP, flanked by the youth of the party,  who had come from Tamale,  indicated that they had armed themselves because they suspected the NDC youth were also armed,  and according to him his boys were only holding the machetes for protection.

Speaking to the GNA in Tongo, the NPP Chairman alleged that NDC youth and the Azorka boys from Tamale, were intimidating the NPP youth.

He appealed to the security agencies to ensure that the election went on peacefully, but in the same breath said:  “this situation can bring problems because we cannot be patient and tolerant when the police have seized our cutlasses while others are armed, ” Mr Naabu said.

Commenting on the accusation, Mr Asiedu Nketia, General Secretary of the NDC, refuted the accusation, saying that the security personnel were responsible, and would deal with any criminal case or unruly behaviour, pointing out that his party had no part in any violence or possession of arms.

Meanwhile at the Tongo Catholic mission, a Ghana Freedom Party agent, Madam Akosua Mercy Asante, who sent one Domevi Thomas to buy her food at the mission polling station in Tongo met the wrath of voters at the centre.

This is because while returning with the food, the agent again asked the errand boy to show her a place to pass urine and on their return, Thomas was beaten up, wounded on the head, and  rushed to a health centre.

The Electoral Officer, Mr Bismark  Bakelimvolma,  confirmed the incident,  and said they were trying to ascertain the truth.

Source: GNA

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.