The British Broadcasting Corporation has sacked Jeremy Clarkson, host of the automobile show ‘Top Gear’.
The announcement was made in a statement by the Director-General of the BBC, Tony Hall, today March 25, 2015.
“It is with great regret that I have told Jeremy Clarkson today that the BBC will not be renewing his contract. It is not a decision I have taken lightly,” Hall wrote.
He revealed that a member of staff – who is a completely innocent party – took himself to Accident and Emergency after a physical altercation accompanied by sustained and prolonged verbal abuse of an extreme nature.
Acknowledging that the strength of the BBC as an organization lies in its diversity, adding that “We need distinctive and different voices but they cannot come at any price. Common to all at the BBC have to be standards of decency and respect.”
“For me a line has been crossed. There cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another dictated by either rank, or public relations and commercial considerations,” he said.
54-year-old Clarkson was suspended last month for allegedly punching producer Oisin Tymon during a row which took place after filming.
Clarkson has a history of rowdy behaviour on set.
Meanwhile, some news reports quote Clarkson saying he hasn’t heard anything from the BBC.
‘Top Gear’ is a television series about motor vehicles and it is the most widely watched factual television show in the world. Started in 1977 and relaunched in 2002 it is estimated to have around 350 million viewers per week in 170 countries. The show brings in about £42 million yearly to the BBC.
See the full text of the press statement here.
By Emmanuel K. Dogbevi