Court adjourns KKD rape case to January 22


A Kaneshie District Court, presided over by Mrs Adwoa Akyaamaa Ofosu, has adjourned to January 22, the case involving Kwasi Kyei Darkwah, a.k.a KKD, to enable the prosecution to seek advice from the Attorney General’s (A-G) Department.

The Broadcaster is being held in police custody for allegedly raping a 19-year old lady.

The accused person, whose second appearance in court saw him wearing blue long sleeves shirt with a cream pair of trousers to march, was calm.

Mr Tony Forson, one of the counsels for the accused person, told the court that, his client had filed an application for bail at the Human Rights Court.

He said the matter could not be heard because the A-G said they were served late on Tuesday, so they could not respond to it, therefore, the case has been adjourned to January 13.

Assistance Commissioner of Police (ACP) Moses Atibilla also told the court that the case being held in the district court was just the beginning of the case and not a trial.

He said the prosecution had sent the duplicate docket to the A-G awaiting their advice on the case.

Presenting the facts to the court, ACP Atibilla told the court earlier that the complainant was a 19-year old lady student.

He said on December 27, at about 1930 hours, there was an event called “RIP the RUNWAY Fashion Show”, organised at the African Regent Hotel, which the complainant attended with her cousin.

He said when the two arrived at the show, they met the accused person in front of the hotel and after the exchanges of pleasantries and attractions, they walked into the lobby where the accused person introduced them to his cousin.

The prosecution said the complainant and the cousin took a few pictures with the accused person, his cousin, and other men.

ACP Atibilla said the accused person who admired the height of the complainant, asked her and her cousin to accompany them to the hotel room to apply powder on his face before the show, since he would be on stage and before the TV cameras.

“The complainant and the accused took one of the lifts to the third floor of the hotel and went into the hotel room together with her cousin and the accused’s cousin,” he added.

He said whilst there, the accused called the complainant to come and help him do the make up in the washroom, which she obliged and entered the washroom leaving the two in the living room.

He said the accused forcibly had sex with the complainant in the washroom and a report was made to the police and medical form issued to her to attend hospital.

When the accused was arrested, he denied the offence and stated that the complainant gave her consent and that he did not force her.

Source: GNA

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.