Attorney General to respond to KKD bail application

KKDAn Accra Human Rights Court has adjourned to January 13 to enable the Attorney General (A-G) to respond to the motion filed for bail by the counsel for Kwasi Kyei Darkwa, popularly called KKD.

Mrs Cynthia Lamptey, Acting Director, Public Prosecution told the court presided over by Mr Kofi Essel Mensah that A-G was served with the motion late yesterday around 1600 hours and could not respond on time.

Hence, the two parties agreed for the adjourned date.

In his bid to secure bail pending trial for KKD, one of his lawyers, Mr. Tony Forson filed a 34-paragrahp motion at the human rights court praying the court for bail.

At the last adjourned date, a Kaneshie District Court, presided over by Mrs Adwoa Akyaamaa Ofosu remanded the accused in police custody for rape.

The accused person, who pleaded not guilty, would re-appear in court on January 8.

Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Moses Atibilla told the court that a prima facie case had been established against the accused person.

He said the remand would enable prosecution to conduct further investigation into the case.

ACP Atibilla said the complainant is a 19-year-old student.

He said on December 27, at about 1930 hours, there was an event called “RIP the RUNWAY Fashion show” organised at the African Regent Hotel which the complainant attended with her cousin.

He said when the two arrived at the show, they met the accused person in front of the hotel and after pleasantries and attractions, and they walked into the lobby where the accused person introduced them to his cousin.

The prosecution said the complainant and the cousin took few pictures with the accused person, his cousin and other men.

ACP Atibilla said the accused person who said he admired the height of the complainant, asked her and her cousin to accompany them to the hotel room to apply powder on his face before the show, since he would be on stage and before TV cameras.

“The complainant and the accused took one of the lifts to the third floor of the hotel and went into the hotel room together with her cousin and the accused person’s cousin,” he added.

He said whilst there, the accused called the complainant to help him do the make up in the washroom, which she obliged and entered the washroom leaving the two in the living room.

He said the accused forcibly had sex with the complainant in the washroom and a report was made to the police and medical form issued to attend hospital.

When the accused was arrested, he denied the offence and stated that, the complainant gave her consent and that he did not force her.

Source: GNA

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.