Five in court for assault

law-and-justiceFive persons on Friday appeared before the Takoradi Circuit Court “B” for allegedly assaulting a public officer and resisting arrest.

They are Abraham Aduley, a 27-year old trader, Joseph Kaku Menlah, 33, a farmer, Bonya Emmanuel, 22, a drivers’ mate, Amihere Ackah, 20, a farmer and Michael Ackah, 52, also a farmer.

All accused persons pleaded not guilty to the charges.

The Court, presided by Judge Charles Banford Nimako, granted the accused persons bail in the sum of GHC10,000 with one surety each to re-appear on November 13 this year.

Prosecuting, Police Chief Inspector Felix Danku said on October 26 this year, Aduley and Menlah were invited by the Half Assini Police to assist in investigations into a case of offensive conduct reported by the Chief of Ellenda.

He said Aduley and Menlah were cautioned and released on Police enquiry bail on the same day to report on October 30.

Chief Inspector Danku said Aduley, who owns a local FM Station, hired a KIA truck and made an announcement on his radio station that all the youth in Ellenda should arm themselves and board the truck to storm the Half Assini Police Station to signify their solidarity with him and Menlah.

He said the youth heeded the announcement and Aduley supplied them with assorted alcoholic drinks to stimulate them.

Chief Inspector Danku said on reaching Tikobo Number one, Aduley mobilized more men and supplied them with alcoholic drinks as well.

He said the youth who were wearing red bands arrived at the Half Assini District Police Headquarters at about 09:40 hours chanting war songs.

Chief Inspector Danku said some of the youth attacked and assaulted the Police for no reason,

resulting in Police Inspector Francis Apeyesie,  Dectective Corporal, Gaddiel Acquaah and General Lance Corporal Aaron Ankomah Adjei sustaining various degrees of injuries including human bite.

Chief inspector Danku said the Police attempted to arrest them but they resisted fiercely and the District Police Commander came out of his office to calm the youth.

He said the Police, however, managed to arrest only the accused persons because of the numerical strength of the youth.

Chief Inspector Danku said the injured Policemen were issued with Police Medical Report forms for treatment and they were accordingly treated and discharged.

He said on October 31, while the accused persons were in Police cells, the assembly member visited them and they asked him to contact their relations for money for the Police on their behalf.

Chief Inspector Danku said the assembly member took GHC 400 to the Police and pleaded with the Police to discontinue the case.

He said the money was collected and kept for evidential purpose and after further investigations, the accused persons were charged.


Source: GNA

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.