Home / Lead Story / Indian fertilizer plant waiting for Ghana gas supply

Indian fertilizer plant waiting for Ghana gas supply

Share this with more people!

Fertilizer2The $1.3 billion fertilizer plant being built by a joint venture firm is said to be almost complete and is now awaiting gas supply from Ghana’s oilfields.

When completed, the plant which is sited on a 400 acre land at Nyakrom in the Western Region through a Ghana-India joint venture, according to officials will produce about a million metric tons of fertilizer per annum to feed the local and international markets.

According to the President, John Dramani Mahama, the project has reached an advanced stage of completion, with the exception of gas supply to power the plant

“We have registered the company and selected the site, the project is awaiting gas supply to come on stream,” President Mahama said earlier this week when he received letters of credence from the Indian High Commissioner to Ghana, Mr Jeeva Sagar, at the seat of Government, reports the Ghana News Agency.

President Mahama indicated that a memorandum of understanding had already been signed between Ghana and India concerning the fertilizer project.

Both countries have formed the Fertilizer Company Ghana Limited to manage the plant.

In  July 2012, the then former Deputy Western Regional Minister, Madam Emelia Arthur, said Ghana has 52% share in the project while the remaining 48% will be owned by the Indians.

By Ekow Quandzie

Share this with more people!

Check Also

COVID-19 increases extreme poverty in West Africa – Report

The ripples of COVID-19 won’t go away soon. The impacts would be felt for a …