Home / General News / Court orders prosecution to produce accused arsonists

Court orders prosecution to produce accused arsonists

Share this with more people!

FireAn Accra circuit court on Wednesday ordered the prosecution in a case in which the State is holding two persons suspected of arson, to produce them (accused persons) on the next adjourned date.

The court ordered that if the prosecution failed to produce the accused persons on the next adjourned date, the case would be struck out.

The order followed the inability of the prosecution to produce the accused persons for the second time.

Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Tuaruka Duuti told the court that although they had completed their investigations they could not produce the suspects in court because the investigator was attending an important meeting.

He pleaded with the court that they would try their best to produce the accused persons at the next sitting.

Meanwhile counsel for the suspected arsonists, Mr. Carlos Adongo, argued that his clients had been held for far too long and appealed to the court to grant them bail.

Presiding Judge, Mr Fransis Obiri said although bail was at the discretion of the court, he would not grant it to them, but rather give the prosecution one last chance to produce the suspects at the next adjourned date.

He, however, cautioned the prosecution that failure to comply with the court’s directive would force him to strike out the case.

The two, Yakubu Tahiru, 28, and Fatau Ibrahim, 22, have been sent to court for their alleged involvement in the burning of the Kantamanto and Agbogbloshie markets in Accra.

The court had since their arrest refused them bail at the request of investigators.

The case was adjourned to 23rd July 2013.

Source: GNA

Share this with more people!

Check Also

Car snatcher jailed 20 years in hard labour

An Accra Circuit Court has sentenced a 25-year-old man to 20 years imprisonment in hard …