Assembly to rewire Juaben Serwah market
The Chief Executive, Mr Alex Asamoah, in an interview with Ghana News Agency in Koforidua, said the move had become necessary due to the rampant fire outbreaks at market centres in the society.
He said the Assembly had identified some possible triggers to the fire outbreaks as illegal connections as well as cooking in the market on both commercial and domestic basis.
Mr Asamoah said markets were not to be used as kitchens for any reason and that the Assembly was going to ensure that all negative activities were halted.
Mr Korzie Sambo, the Municipal Coordinating Director, said as a measure in achieving the objectives set, the Assembly has held a meeting with stakeholders including representatives from the markets on how best the measures could be carried out.
He said at the meeting, the market women themselves identified illegal wiring, connections, placement of containers at unacceptable places and the operation of food joints in the markets as problems that must be dealt with to prevent any fire outbreak.
Mr Sambo said the market women also complained that anytime they had challenges with their electricity and reported to the ECG, they did not respond as expected and therefore they had to rely on wayside electricians, hence the many illegal wiring and connections.
He said the women urged the Assembly to embark on a sensitization drive to create the awareness of the rewiring exercise.
Meanwhile the Information Services Department and the Ghana National Fire Service has started an education program at the Central Business District.