President John Dramani Mahama is the ninth most followed African President on Twitter, according a list compiled by East African-based social news website, Sahan Journal. He has the Twitter handle @JDMahama.
With a verified account, @JDMahama, he had 13,492 followers as at the end of March 31, 2013. Mahama’s account was opened in July 2012 when he first took office, following the unexpected death of former President John Atta Mills.
According to the Sahan Journal, President Mahama’s account has about 200 tweets and is mostly run by his campaign staff who tweet, in third person, when the president is giving a speech, meeting international dignitaries, or setting off on state visits.
At the time of running this story, President Mahama’s twitter account has 217 tweets with 13,691 followers, and he is following 614 twitter accounts.
Sahan Journal’s list of top 10 African presidents on Twitter was led by Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi (@MuhammadMorsi) with Ivorian Leader Alassane Ouattara (@adosolutions) whose account is still unverified was last in the top-ten list.
Full list of Top-Ten African Presidents on Twitter
1. Egyptian President Muhammad Morsi: @MuhammadMorsi — Verified account
2. South African President Jacob Zuma: @SAPresident — Verified account
3. Kenyan President-elect Uhuru Kenyatta: @UKenyatta — Verified account
4. Tunisian President Moncef Marzouki: @Moncef_Marzouki — Unverified account
5. Rwandan President Paul: @PaulKagame — Verified account
6. Tanzanian President Jakaya Kikwete: @jmkikwete – Verified account
7. Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan: @JGoodlucktweets — Unverified account
8. Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni: @KagutaMuseveni — Unverified account
9. Ghanaian President John Dramani Mahama: @JDMahama — Verified account
10. Ivory Coast President Alassane Ouattara: @adosolutions — Unverified account
By Ekow Quandzie