Fire guts 17 rooms in Sunyani Newtown

FireSeventeen out of 25 rooms were last Thursday gutted by fire at the Sunyani Newtown causing extensive damage to property.

The cause of the fire is not immediately known but a family source told the Ghana News Agency (GNA) that he suspected intermittent power outage in the area might be the cause.

No casualty was recorded.

Personal belongings including cash, refrigerators, computers, television sets, furniture, clothing, cooking utensils and other valuable items were all burnt and occupants of the houses are putting up with friends.

Mr. Kwadwo Nyamekye-Marfo, the Acting Brong-Ahafo Regional Minister, has led members of the Regional Security Council (REGSEC) to inspect the damage.

The members were Assistant Commander of Police (ACP) Robert Ayalingo, Regional Police Commander, Lieutenant-Colonel Cornelius Kobina Lithur, Commanding Officer of Third Garrison Battalion and Mr. Kwame Larbi Apraku, Regional Fire Commander of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS).

Mr. Nyamekye-Marfo advised house owners and estate developers to conform to building regulations to enable the GNFS to have access to their premises in case of any outbreak of fire.

Mr. Apraku said fire officers deployed to the scene could have brought the fire under control but lack of access to the building hindered their efforts.

Joseph Amoah, an occupant of the house, said he rang to inform the GNFS about the incident confirming and confirmed that because of the lack of access road personnel of the service found it difficult to reach the scene in time.

Source: GNA

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.