Home / Oil & Gas / Hess finds oil at Pecan-1 well offshore Ghana

Hess finds oil at Pecan-1 well offshore Ghana

Share this with more people!

US-based explorer, Hess, today December 12, 2012 announced it has found oil at Pecan-1 exploration well located in the Deepwater Tano/Cape Three Points license offshore Ghana.

Hess, in a statement, said the well encountered “245 net feet of oil pay in two separate Turonian intervals.”

According to the company, the Pecan-1 well was drilled to a total depth of 15,420 feet in a water depth of 8,245 feet. It adds that the well has been sidetracked to obtain bypass cores and is now being suspended.

The statement noted that Pecan-1 is Hess’ fifth discovery on the block and follows the previously announced discoveries at Almond (53 net feet oil pay), Beech (146 net feet oil pay), Hickory North (98 net feet gas condensate pay) and Paradise (120 net feet oil pay and 295 net feet gas condensate pay).

Hess currently has a 90% interest in the block while the Ghana National Petroleum Corporation (GNPC) holds the remaining 10%.

Hess said it will next drill the Cob prospect, located approximately 15 miles northeast of the Pecan-1 discovery and that pre-development and further exploration activities are planned in 2013.

By Ekow Quandzie

Share this with more people!

Check Also

Fuel prices to decline but cedi fall will water down impact – IES

A decline in prices of petroleum products on the international market will further drive down …