According to the farmers, not until compensations are paid on the crops on their farms, they would not allow the clearing of the land.
Mr Anthony Nwiah, Site Foreman of J. O. Construction engaged on the clearing of the land, made this known in an interview with the Ghana News Agency at Takinta on Tuesday.
He said the clearing work which started on May 25 this year, had been suspended after the farmers had besieged the Company’s Site on June 11, 2012 and threatened them there would be bloodshed and loss of lives if they went ahead to uproot their coconut trees.
Mr Nwiah said only about five hectares of land had been cleared so far.
He said despite meeting with members of the Jomoro District Security Committee (DISEC) headed by the District Chief Executive, Mr Sylvester Dadie to allow the clearing of the land while awaiting payment of their compensations, the farmers had refused to give in.
Over 2,000 coconut trees on the 19-kilometer square land, belonging to about 500 farmers from Bonyere, New Kabenlasuazo, Egbazo, old Kabenlasuazo, Takinta, Bokakokole, Ndumesuazo and Ahobre that had been demarcated for the project would be affected.
Some of the farmers who spoke on condition of anonymity told the GNA at Takinta that the coconut plantations were their only source of livelihood and if the compensations were not paid before the uprooting of the trees, it would bring financial hardship to them.
The farmers stressed they were not against the construction of the project in the area and therefore appealed to the government to pay their compensation before destroying the farms.
The Domunli Gas Project to be sited at Domunlizo in the district and Atuabo in the Nzema District would manufacture gas and other items from gas from the Jubilee Oil Field for local consumption and export.