Police Officer wrote three different statements in Mobilla’s case : Witness

Police Sergeant George Mensah Kpegli, witness in the case of Alhaji Issa Mobilla, late Northern Regional Chairman of the Convention People’s Party (CPP), on Wednesday narrated how he had to write three different statements in respect of the case.

According to Sergeant Kpegli, two out of the three statements were rejected because its contents were an indictment on the Military Command.

He said due to the contents of his statements he had his rank reduced while his colleague, Lance Corporal Avernori, who was also in the case was dismissed from the Ghana Police Service.

The witness said those actions were taken by Superintendent of Police Oko Brakatu, former Tamale Regional Police Commander.

Sergeant Kpegli said this when he was continuing with his evidence-in-chief in the case in which  two soldiers, Corporal Yaw Appiah and Private Eric Modzaka, are facing two charges of conspiracy to murder and murdering of Mobilla on December 9, 2004.

The accused persons have denied the charges before the reconstituted seven-member jury at the Accra Fast Track High Court, presided over by Mr Justice Mustapha Habib Logoh.

The fourth prosecution witness recounted how he and a Police photographer had taken shots of Mobilla’s corpse after his death.

Witness said before conducting the autopsy, the pathologist instructed the Police photographer to take shots of some parts of the corpse which had severe bruises.

These photographs according to the witness were compiled in an album, which was tendered in evidence.

He said soon after the death of Mobilla, he was informed by his station officer to verify the issue and he obliged.

Later, the accused persons were handed over to him by the Military Command for further investigations.

Sergeant Kpegli said he then took cautioned and investigation statements from the accused persons.

Alhaji Mobilla was arrested by the police on December 9, 2004 for allegedly supplying the youth in Tamale with guns to foment trouble.

While in custody, the police claimed they received information that his followers and sympathisers were mobilising to free him.

The deceased was consequently transferred from the police cells to the Kamina Military Barracks and handed over to the three accused persons.

According to the prosecution, Alhaji Mobilla died in military custody three hours after he had been handed over to the accused persons, who were on duty that day.

The pathologist’s report revealed that the deceased was sent to the hospital dead and that he died from multiple wounds.

Hearing continues Friday, March 16.

Source: GNA

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.