Komfo Anokye Hospital morgue choked, mass burial to start
The authorities of the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) had announced the decision to undertake a mass burial of all unclaimed bodies at the hospital’s mortuary.
This has been fixed for Monday, March 26, and it is meant to decongest the mortuary to improve the quality of pathological services.
A statement signed by Mr Kwame Frimpong, the Public Relations Officer, in Kumasi, said the affected bodies, some of which had been in the morgue for over six years were brought in by the police and other members of the public.
The identities of majority of these dead persons are unknown and were victims of road traffic accidents.
The rest include those suddenly taken ill or collapsed in public places and brought to the facility by “Good Samaritans.”
The statement said the hospital’s morgue was now choked and that the authorities were left with no choice but to bury them in mass grave.
It appealed to people who have not been able to trace their missing relatives to contact the mortuary manager for possible identification before the scheduled date.