Fire burns 65 year-old lotto seller to death

A 65 year-old lotto seller at Nkoranza, Mr Yaw 0fori, got burnt to death on Monday by fire that razed the house in which he lived.

Four out of five bedrooms in the house were completely burnt by the fire, which occurred around 2155 hours.

Personal items including beddings, clothing and other household belongings worth more than GH¢1,000 were also burnt.

Mr Maxwell Oduro-Branie, Nkoranza Municipal Fire Officer told the Ghana News Agency on Wednesday that he deployed a crew of firemen to the scene as soon as information about the calamity got to the office at about 2200 hours.

He said it took the crew about an hour to bring the fire under control.

Mr Oduro-Branie said the firemen suspected the fire was caused by a lighted cigarette.

The late Ofori was said to have been a cigarette smoker and an alcoholic.

The municipal fire officer said the deceased might have slept and left a piece of the lighted cigarette on his bed which later caused the fire.

Mr Oduro-Branie explained that because of burglar proof windows and doors the fire fighters had it tough entering the room to put out the fire.

He suggested the provision of exit points in all houses to allow fire fighters to get easy access to fire points during such disasters.

Meanwhile the Nkoranza are investigating the cause of the fire.

Source: GNA

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.