Tema Customs exceed revenue target

The Tema Collection of the Customs Division of the Ghana Revenue Authority exceeded its revenue target of GH¢3,068 for last year, by GH¢536 in November 2011.

Alhaji Y.A. Ibrahim, Tema Sector Commander of Customs who made this known in Tema at the weekend said the excess collection represented about 16 per cent above the set target.

Alhaji Ibrahim was speaking at an end-of-year reception organised for staff of the Tema Sector to review its performance for last year and to see how best to achieve this year’s revenue target.

He said the target for 2012 stands at GH¢3,107.86.

Alhaji Ibrahim explained that the figure means: “Tema Collection alone is collecting 72 per cent of the total revenue target for the Customs Division, leaving 28 per cent for the rest of the collections.”

The Sector Commander therefore reminded staff that they would be expected to approach their duties with zeal, commitment, selflessness and dedication.

He mentioned insufficient funding, bad image perception, inadequate staff strength and logistics as the major challenges facing the sector last year in spite of its achievements.

Mr Ernest Ackwerh, Deputy Commissioner of Customs in-charge of Preventive, cautioned officers to guard against unprofessional behaviour such as extortion that tends to tarnish the image of the profession.

Mr James Mensah Tchokpa, an Assistant Commissioner of Customs at Tema Oil Refinery, who chaired the function, urged staff of Tema Collection to keep the spirit of hard work and endeavour to lead morally upright lives.

Awards were presented to deserving officers and men of the Collection, with Mr Ransford Abaka emerging as the all-round officer for his exceptional performance.

Source: GNA

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.