Alhaji Muhammad Mumuni, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration has described as an unfortunate development, reports that black Africans in Libya were being arrested and killed.
“If it is verified, then it is a most unfortunate happening and must be condemned in all its forms,” he stated.
Speaking with the Ghana News Agency (GNA) on Friday, Alhaji Mumuni said the reports if true had arisen from some misconceptions and false alarms.
He noted that earlier when the Libyan crisis broke, there were reports that Colonel Muammar Gaddafi had recruited black Africans as mercenaries to fight against his own people.
He also called on the National Transition Council to see it as its responsibility to guarantee the safety of all foreign nationals in Libya if the reports were found to be true.
Alhaji Mumuni said although Ghana’s mission and those of other Sub-Saharan African countries had been advised to close down their missions in Libya, which hampered attempts to evacuate their citizens, Ghana had been able to evacuate over 20,000 of her people.
He pledged that government was closely monitoring developments in that country and if verified that Ghanaians and black Africans in general were targets for the Libyan people, steps would be taken to effect their evacuation.