The Volta Regional Police Command Thursday began demolishing unauthorized speed ramps in the Region.
This followed the failure of chiefs and opinion leaders to have them removed despite several appeals.
The move is to reduce accidents the ramps are causing in the Region.
Assistant commissioner of Police Alex Bedie, Volta Regional Police Commander, said chiefs would be prosecuted if their communities re-constructed those unauthorized ramps.
“The police in collaboration with the Regional Road Safety Committee have organized a lot of education campaigns on speed ramps and sensitized opinion leaders before this exercise and would not countenance their re-construction,” he said.
Mr Bedie attributed the rise in road accidents in the Region to the construction of unauthorized speed ramps and expressed the hope that the removal of the ramps would help reduce accidents in the region.
He urged drivers to observe recommended speed limits to reduce road accidents.
Mr Fred Lumor, Regional Commander of the Motor Traffic and Transport Unit, told the GNA that the Region recorded 15 serious”road accidents last month in which three people were killed.