Home / General News / Mobila’s death trial begins afresh

Mobila’s death trial begins afresh

Share this with more people!

The trial of the two soldiers, who are being held for the death of Alhaji Issa Mobilla, has begun afresh with a call on the jury not to discuss evidence in public, such as at work places, drinking spots or funerals in order not to prejudice the matter.

Corporal Yaw Appiah and Private Eric Modzaka are facing two charges of conspiracy to murder and murder of Mobilla, the former Northern Regional Chairman of the Convention People’s Party (CPP) on December 9, 2004.

They have, however, denied the charges.

A third accused person, Private Seth Goka, is currently on the run.

After empanelling and swearing in the new seven-member jury, the trial judge, Mr Justice Mustapha Habib Logo told the jury that the decisions that they would arrive at should be based on evidence gathered before the court and not what they hear or read outside.

The judge further admonished the media to report accurately adding they should not hesitate to seek clarification if they were in doubt.

“I hope that as we embark on this journey, God will guide us all to arrive at the right decision,” the judge said.

Mr Thaddeus Sory, who represented Appiah and Modzaka, advised the jury to go by the rules of the court to ensure that justice was served at the end of the trial.

Miss Merley Wood and Mrs Maria Opare, Chief and Principal State Attorneys respectively represented the state.

The facts of the case are that Alhaji Mobilla was arrested by the police on December 9, 2004 for allegedly supplying the youth in Tamale with guns to foment trouble.

While he was in custody, the police claimed they received information that his followers and sympathisers were mobilising to free him. The deceased was consequently transferred from police cells to the Kamina Military Barracks and handed over to the three accused persons.

According to the prosecution, Alhaji Mobilla died in military custody three hours after he had been handed over to the accused persons who were on duty that day.

The chief pathologist’s report revealed that the deceased was sent to the hospital dead and that he died from multiple wounds.

The case has been adjourned to July 6 for hearing.

Source: GNA

Share this with more people!

Check Also

Ghana-India trade bounces back to $2.7b after COVID-19 slowdown – High Commissioner

Trade between Ghana and India is on the path of recovery after plummeting in 2020 …