Kotoko beat Medeama 2-1 to secure Premier league second spot

A first half brace from Ivorian-import Ahmed Toure powered Kumasi Asante Kotoko to a 2-1 victory over Medeama SC in their second place play-off clash on Wednesday at the Ohene Djan Stadium, Accra.

The victory ensured the Porcupine Warriors finished behind uncrowned champions Berekum Chelsea in the standings of the 2010/2011 Premier League season, with Medeama thus claiming the third place.

Both teams were tied on 46 points apiece and equal points via head-to-head, after the league season, giving the way for a one-off match in line with the regulations of the Ghana Football teams.

Despite being a mid-week, the match lived up to its billings, with each side stating their claim for the bragging rights after the two previous meetings involving them ended 1-0 in each others favour.

The opening minutes saw both sides being gifted with flurry of goal scoring opportunities, but they failed to break the deadlock.

Medeama made the first attempt at goal as early as the seventh minute but Emmanuel Dogbe failed to connect home Hans Kwofie’s cross across the face of goal.

It was Kotoko’s turn a minute later, and captain Daniel Nii Agyei was unlucky to see his grounder missing narrowly after Alex Asamoah had put him through.

Medeama maintained their hold on the game capitalizing on the leaking Kotoko left back manned by Mohammed Sabato, who found Kwofie too hard a host to handle.

But against the run of play it was Kotoko who scored the opener on 24 minutes through Toure. Asamoah robbed Daniel Ocran off the ball before laying the ball on the path of Toure, who wasted no time in firing past Medeama goalie Mozart Adjetey.

On 36 minutes, Kotoko were rewarded a penalty after Medeama defender Nurudeen Yusif was adjudged to have fouled Haruna Ganiyu in the vital area.

The resultant spot kick was converted by Toure for his second of the game.

A minute from recess, substitute Godbless Asamoah, who had replaced Kabiru Moro few minutes into the game reduced the deficit for Medeama with a close range effort after the Kotoko were found ball watching.

The Tarkwa-based club were the better of the second half and could have drawn parity but Kwofie and Asamoah were the worst culprits as they blasted chances easier to score than miss to draw their side even.

Kotoko were overpowered and their defence remained the busiest of the remainder of the game as they seemed content and could not produce their first half showing.

In the closing stages of the games, Medeama’s call for a penalty was flatly refused by referee Seidu Bomison after Kotoko defender John Kuffour impeded Asamoah in his attempt to clear a ball.

Moments later, Toure turned villain as he was sent off after a second bookable offence for time wasting before proceedings was brought to an end.

Earlier Cape Coast Ebusua Dwarfs defeated Wa All Stars 4-3 on penalties to be crowned winners of the Reserve Premier League.

The victorious Ebusua Dwarfs were presented with a trophy by GFA President Kwesi Nyantakyi, assisted by Premier League Board (PLB) Chairman Yaw Abra-Appiah for their efforts.

Source: GNA

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.