Brong Ahafo Regional Co-ordinator of the Guinea worm Eradication Programme, Mr David Menka, has stated that Ghana was on course to eradicate the disease if it does not record any case by July this year.
Speaking in an interview with the Ghana News Agency in Sunyani on Thursday, Mr Menka said the Region in 2009 recorded two cases of the disease, one of which was “imported” from the Northern Region and the other registered in Kintampo North municipality.
He said the region did not register any case in 2010 apart from the two reported cases in 2009.
Since 2010, the co-ordinator added, the country has recorded a total of eight cases with the last case detected on May 12, 2010 in the Northern Region.
Mr Menka said “the cases recorded in the region were contained within 24 hours in the hospital, but the fact that there has not been any incidence of the disease since May 12, 2010 does not mean the country is free from it”.
He explained that active surveillance had been mounted in all endemic areas to ensure a quick response to any emergency situation or outbreak.
Mr Menka urged the general public to report cases early to health facilities, disclosing that his outfit had instituted a cash reward package for whoever reports any incidence of the disease.
He advised the public to boil or distil water fetched from water bodies before they use it.