Home / General News / Ex-workers threaten to invade Goldfields if their demands are ignored

Ex-workers threaten to invade Goldfields if their demands are ignored

Share this with more people!

Ex-workers of Goldfields Ghana Limited (GGL) have threatened to invade the company’s premises if their grievances are continually ignored by the company.

According to them, the mining company refused to pay them interests on their provident fund earnings although a favourable verdict was given by a High Court on the matter.

Mr. William Atinka, spokesman of the ex-workers, led the aggrieved persons to present a petition to Mrs Christina Cobbinah, Municipal Chief Executive of Tarkwa-Nsuaem, for onward transmission to President John E. A. Mills.

Mr. Atinka said the management of the company in various meeting that spanned 17 months agreed to pay them 20,000 Ghana cedis but this has not been implemented.

He said Mr. Anthony E. Amoah, former Western Regional minister and Messrs Smith Holdbrook, Mr. Mubashir T. Dari, Dr. Tony Aubynn, Gerald Boakye, Mr. Steve Yirenkyi and Keningan participated in series of meetings and various agreements reached during such meetings included the decision of management to pay them 20,000 Ghana cedis, employ the ex-workers, compensate the aged and widows but these promises were never fulfilled.

Mr. Atinka said though various attempts had been made to get these promises fulfilled, nothing positive has been done.

He called on the management of the company and the government to take decisive steps to prevent any incident.

Mr. Atinka said they have been told by the Police that they could not present a petition to the management of Goldfields as had earlier been agreed upon.

He said though the Police had approved their routes and given them the necessary support, the attempt to stop them from going to the gate of the company was a deliberate attempt to frustrate them.

“We will comply with the directive but if by January 15, nothing positive has come out of our petition, we shall invade the premises of the company and will be willing to die there”, they threatened.

The ex-workers who were laid off in 1999 said the company failed to give them three months notice as stipulated in the collective bargaining agreement (CBA) while the contents of the CBA were also amended without the knowledge of the workers.

Source: GNA

Share this with more people!

Check Also

Youth Employment Agency says it has engaged 144,000 youth from 2017 to date

The Youth Employment Agency (YEA) since 2017 till date, has engaged a total of 144,521 …