Home / General News / Ex-serial caller in court for allegedly causing fear and panic

Ex-serial caller in court for allegedly causing fear and panic

Share this with more people!

An ex-serial caller, who allegedly provided false information to the Deputy National Security Coordinator, on Friday appeared before a Circuit Court in Accra for causing fear and panic.

Richard Mensah, a farmer allegedly informed the Deputy National Security Coordinator that some New Patriotic Party (NPP) functionaries had imported 61 jute sacks of ammunitions, including AK 47 rifles and bombs into the country.

Mensah, who was charged with publicising false news with the intention to cause fear and panic and deceit of public officer, pleaded not guilty.

Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Abraham Annor told the court presided over by Mrs Patience Mills-Tetteh that a duplicate docket would be forwarded to the Attorney-General’s Department for advice due to the security implications of the case.

The court has admitted Mensah to GH¢10,000 bail with two sureties to re-appear on November 19.

Mr Kofi Affail Bonnin, who acted as a friend of the court, prayed it to admit Mensah to bail since the charges levelled against Mensah attracted bail.

According to Mr Bonnin, accused had been in police custody for five days and there was no way he was going to interfere with police investigations.

He said the inability of the police to put the accused before court within the stipulated 48 hours, constituted a breach of his rights and liberties under the 1992 Constitution.

ASP Annor said the accused, a serial caller between 2002 and 2008 with the name “Rose Adenta,” had been going round concocting false stories.

He said on November 8, this year, at 1000 hours, Mensah went to the Deputy National Security Coordinator with the story and some photographs that some NPP functionaries were importing 61 jute sacks of ammunitions, bombs, assorted AK 47 rifles and bayonets from Nigeria.

ASP Annor said during the NPP flagbearer primaries, the accused alleged that he was given GH¢10,000 to be given to the Western Regional Electoral Officer, who gave him ballot papers some of which were printed in favour of Nana Addo Dankwa Akuffo-Addo.

He alleged that some of these ballot papers were sent to the Central, Western and Eastern Regions.

ASP Annor said the accused further alleged that the presiding judge over the trial of the Ghana@50 case that involved Dr Charles Yves Wireko-Brobby and Kwadwo Okyere Mpiani was bribed.

The prosecution told the court that the accused alleged that during Election 2008, the NPP distributed special ink to all Regional Chairmen of the party for distribution to polling station agents to deface photographs of Professor John Evans Atta-Mills, the NDC Presidential Candidate to declare them spoiled.

ASP Annor said during interrogation, the accused alleged he had worked with Moctar Bamba, the NPP National Organiser, to distribute bayonets to activists of the NPP in the Regions.

The prosecution said the accused admitted that on July 31, this year, he planted a story entitled “Commandos Invade Atiwa” in the newspapers intended to cause fear and panic among the public.

ASP Annor said the police were making efforts to contact one Mmufoh of Nigeria on the alleged importation of the arms.

Source: GNA

Share this with more people!

Check Also

Women to benefit from one-household, one garden project in Northern Region

A total of 600 women from six districts in the Northern Region have been supported …